Raphael Thomas has a thorough knowledge of the media sector. Before starting his career as a lawyer he spent four years working for Japan's public brodcaster NHK as editor and production manager. He also organised and managed successful tournées of German orchestras in Asia and assists associations and federations of the German football Bundesliga in issues related to the Asia-marketing.
Until 2009 he worked as a lawyer at HERTIN law firm, and subsequently started his own firm THOMAS RECHTSANWÄLTE, based in Berlin-Mitte.
Raphael Thomas is a specialist (Fachanwalt) in copyright and media law, intellectual property and competition law. Trademark law, design law and personality law belong, among others, to his area of expertise.
Educational and professional background:
- Summer 2009: founding of THOMAS RECHTSANWÄLTE law firm
- since fall 2010: participant to the master programme "Immaterial property law" at the Humboldt University, Berlin
- until may 2009: lawyer at HERTIN law firm, Berlin
- 1997 -1999: legal practitioner at Fujii Ikuya law firm in Tokyo, Japan
- legal practice (Referendariat) at Berlin's Court of Appeal (Kammergericht), at the Federal Ministry for Economy and Technology (BMWi), dept. international trade and Asia
- law studies at the University of Passau and at the Humboldt University in Berlin
- CEO of the agency thomas & partners in Berlin
- news editor for Japan's public broadcaster NHK
- coordination of the tv-broadcasting of the football world cup 2006 in Japan for NHK
- various television and print publications for Japanese daylies and tv broadcasters
- management of guest performances and tournées of German orchestras in Japan
- live-translation of Japanese theater performances at Bayrisches Staatsschauspiel, Münchener Kammerspiele, Schaubühne Berlin and Maxim-Gorki-Theater
- consultancy of associations of the German football Bundesliga in issues related to the Asia marketing
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gewerblichen Rechtsschutz und Urheberrecht (GRUR)
- Vereinigung von Fachleuten des Gewerblichen Rechtsschutzes (VPP)
- Deutsch-Japanische Juristenvereinigung (DJJV)
- Deutsch-Japanischer Wirtschaftskreis (DJW)